Vote for My Blog!

Independent Book Blogger Awards

Vote for this blog for the Independent Book Blogger Awards!

Vote

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Shared Range **Andrew Grey**

Publication Date: September 20, 2010
Genre: Contemporary/Western/Gay and Lesbian
Series: Stories from the Range
List Price (digital): $5.75
Sensuality Rating: NC-17
Stars: 5/5

Synopsis:

After a year in medical school, Dakota Holden returned home to take care of the family business full time and help his father cope with multiple sclerosis. Devoted to his family, Dakota allows himself just one week of vacation a year, which he spends in some exotic location having all the fun he can stand. On his last vacation, a cruise, Dakota struck up a friendship with Phillip Reardon, and it fills an important role in Dakota’s life.So when Phillip decides to take Dakota up on his invitation to visit the ranch, Dakota is happy to see him and meet his veterinarian friend, Wally Schumacher. Despite Wally’s inclination to help the wolves Dakota’s men shoot to protect the cattle, he and Dakota find they have a lot in common, including a fierce attraction. But they’ll have to decide if the Wyoming range is big enough for Dakota’s cattle, Wally’s wolves, and their love.

My Opinion:

What else can I do but give a Stories from the Range novel five stars? I knew from the start it would be spectacular, and, of course, I wasn't wrong! This story is about being strong enough to face your fears, whether your afraid to love or others' reactions.

Now on to all the great things about this novel.

It has a gripping beginning, middle, and ending. All the way through I was hooked and wondering what was going to happen next. It was fantastic and I am and have been in love with these characters since reading my first Stories from the Range novel, An Unsettled Range. It's very unfortunate the don't bat for my team, but that's one of the things I love about them! Their courage to be true to themselves in a place where being different can get you killed.

Even though this novel is a work of fiction, it's very realistic. Dakota is struggling to tell a secret, that could make his father hate him...Wally is struggling to overcome his fear of loving and staying with a man who lives in a truly judgmental state, where it will never be easy to be himself. I almost listed this novel in an "inspirational" category. This novel is definitely inspirational to everyone, not just homosexuals. It's taught me to be myself, because trying to be someone else is more harmful to me then pretending to be something that I'm not.

I love that I can relate to Dakota's dad, because of his Multiple Sclerosis. I have it too, and I can understand what he's feeling (even if he is a fictional character), even though he's old. I feel closer to characters that are relate-able.

 I was really happy about most of the ranch hands acceptance and attitude about Dakota being gay. If more people were like them, it would be great. And I even like Greg. He is a symbol of a person who is ignorant, but eventually learns, hey, it's okay to be different. I found it amusing when he brought his girlfriend around the ranch to show the boys "I'm not gay, but it's okay that you are."

Since I'm all about the romance, I have to mention the extremely hot sex scenes that get better the more I read this series! Delightfully descriptive. Love it! I cannot wait to read the next one.

I find my favorite character is Phillip. He's so colorful. He's also hilarious, especially when he's trying to find analogies that mean the same as "ride you like a cowboy." Too funny.

It's so ironic how Wally and Dakota become an item and fall in love, but it started off with Phillip and Dakota. I don't know how I would feel if my friend started dating the guy I had a fling with. But I just love Phillip more, for being able to realize they true love. But then again, he had Mario to "hang out" with, for the trip. And I do love me some irony.

Recommendations??

This book is for those who love a happy ending, who isn't afraid of a little sex, or someone who loves a lesson learned. I honestly loved this book, and I'm sure you will, too.


REVIEW BY SARAH
scintidam@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, guys. I look forward to reading your comments!